My family started a tradition when I was younger of eating a large family dinner at my aunt’s house after church on Sundays. I can’t pinpoint the exact time but I know it predates me dating. Even though I’ve grown a lot going to Aunt Kelly’s is still one of my favorite things every week. Now that I’m over 21 the wine makes it even better. I believe in a balanced diet so my cheat meal is usually my Sunday dinner. (It isn’t really dinner but it’s what we call it.) This next recipe is a healthier version of one of my favorite Aunt Kelly recipes. I hope you enjoy.
Easy Three Bean Salad
- 15 ounces Wax Beans (canned because I can never find them fresh)
- 15 ounces Blanched Green Beans (or canned but look for low sodium)
- 8 ounces Cooked Kidney Beans
- 8 ounces Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup finely diced celery (approximately 100 grams)
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onions (approximately 50 grams) I recommend Vidalia onions if you can find them
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup reduced fat feta
- 3 packets Stevia (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced parsley
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, Stevia, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Stir until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Mix the wax beans, green beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, sweet onions, celery and parsley in a bowl.
- Add the vinegar mixture to the bean mixture and allow to marinade for 6+ hours.
- Right before you serve the mixture add the feta. insert photo of feta
This makes a great side dish or entree. To make this an entree I chop two cups of spinach or spring mix finely and mix in a serving of the three bean salad. To make it a little more “man approved” I usually try up a slice of (turkey) bacon or two and add it to Ashton’s serving.
P.S. Yes, I know this has four “beans” but I’ve always called it three bean salad.
Insert Photo as Meal (spinach)
Serving Size: 1 cup (makes six)
Nutrition Facts: 262 calories, 16 carbohydrates and 7 grams of protein